Jeong-dong is a place where stone walls of Deoksugung Palace and modern redbrick buildings are in harmony. In 1900s before the long and dark Japanese colonial period, ambitions of imperialist nations and various cultures existed together in streets of Jong-dong. The streets also had consulates for each nation, hotels where diplomatic mission members stayed, and King Gojong agonizing over the crisis. We invite you to one day in Jeong-dong during sad, beautiful, spectacular, but dark time in 1900s.
An exhibition hall opened on March 28, 2019. The hall exhibits past, present, and future of Seoul with exhibition on Seoul city architecture’s development process and suggestion on future city construction.
A public building made for Gyeongseong residents during the Japanese colonial era in 1935. The building was used as a cultural space for play, party, film screening, concert, and wedding.
A building used as a school for educating royal family and sons of nobles during the Korean Empire Period in 1905. The building was built inside the palace when Gyeongun Palace (former name of Deoksugung Palace) was reconstructed and the building was moved to this place in 1927.
The path where King Gojong left Gyeongbokgung Palace and escaped to Russian Legation in 1896 to escape the surveillance of Japan. King Gojong`s Flight to the Russian Legation refers to an incident where King Gojong and prince (Sunjong) hid inside a palanquin of court lady in the dawn of February 1896 and escaped to Russian Legation. At that time, King Gojong was anxious after Empress Myeongseong got killed by Japanese killers in 1895.
An educational institute for women founded by American missionary Scranton in 1886. Ewha School is the beginning and symbol of education on women.
A church established by American Methodist church missionary Appenzeller in 1897. The church went beyond the religious meaning and served as a progressive space in many ways. Also, the first western-style modern wedding was held in Chungdong First Methodist Church.
Paichai School is the first western-style modern secondary education institute established by American missionary Appenzeller in 1886. The East Building of Paichai School was newly made into Appenzeller Noble Memorial Museum. This modern historic building completed in 1916 is designated as Seoul Treasure No.16.