This walking tour takes visitors around Changdeokgung (Changdeok Palace), the second grand palace of the Joseon Dynasty, built in 1405 by King Taejong (the 3rd king of the Joseon Dynasty). Although an independent palace, Changdeokgung is connected with Changgyeonggung (Changgyeong Palace) and the two palaces were utilized together. Because of its location east of Gyeongbok Palace, Changdeokgung, with Changgyeonggung, is also referred to as the "Donggwol", or the "East Palace". In 1592 the main palace, Gyeongbokgung, was completely destroyed by fire during the Japanese Invasion of Korea and Changdeokgung became the home of the Joseon court for 270 years. Changdeokgung was also the favored residence of many Joseon Dynasty kings. For this reason for many, Changdeokgung is the place which most represents the Joseon Dynasty. Its status as a national symbol meant that it suffered deliberate damage by the Japanese during their occupation of Korea. For many years afterwards it was neglected until it was reconstructed and restored to its original state in 1991. Compared to other palaces, Changdeokgung is well-preserved and still has many of its original features. The palace's rear garden, Huwon, is considered an excellent example of Korean garden design and is the only rear garden of any Korean palace. As a result in 1997, Changdeokgung was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List as being an outstanding example of Far Eastern palace architecture and garden design, exceptional for the way in which the buildings are integrated into and harmonized with the landscape.
Closed : Mondays