Seoul City Walking Tours

Changgyeonggung (Changgyeong Palace)

Tickets & Offers Seoul City Walking Tours

Walking Tour Introduction
The stage where some of the most tragic incidents in Korean history took place, Changgyeonggung.
This walking tour takes visitors around Changgyeonggung (Changgyeong Palace), one of the Five Grand Palaces of the Joseon Dynasty. Although an independent palace, Changgyeonggung is connected with Changdeokgung (Changdeok Palace) and the two palaces were utilized together. Because of its location east of Gyeongbok Palace, Changgyeonggung, with Changdeokgung, is also referred to as the "Donggwol", or the "East Palace". Compared to the four other palaces, Changgyeonggung is compact and simple, but it is also the location of two historically renowned stories: the story of Queen Inhyeon and the king's favorite concubine Janghuibin during the reign of King Sukjong (the 19th king of the Joseon Dynasty) and the story of the Crown Prince Sado who was sealed alive in a wooden rice chest and killed during the reign of King Yeongjo!
Walking Tour Details
Route
Changgyeonggung Honghwamun - Okcheongyo - Myeongjeongjeon Sungmundang - Munjeongjeon - Munjeongmun - Gwancheondae - Gyeongchunjeon - Yeongchunheon - Tongmyeongjeon - Jagyeongjeon Site - Chundangji - Changgyeonggung Honghwamun


Length of tour : 2 hours

Meeting Place : Ticket booth at Changgyeonggung

Transportation : Take subway line 4 to Hyehwa Station. Go out exit 4 and walk about 300 m.
Major Tourist Attractions
Changgyeonggung (Changgyeong Palace)
Originally built by King Sejong the Great (the 4th king of the Joseon Dynasty) for his father, Taejong, it was renovated and enlarged by King Seongjong (the 9th king of the Joseon Dynasty) in 1483 to take care of the wives of the preceding kings. During the Japanese colonial rule of Korea, it was turned into an amusement park comprised of a botanical garden and a zoo and was referred to as Changgyeongwon (Changgyeong Park). Then in 1983 the once grand palace underwent a rigorous restoration process and was returned to its original form.
Myeongjeongjeon (Main Hall)
Designated as National Treasure No. 226, Myeongjeongjeon is the main hall of the palace, where state affairs such as meetings with officials, receptions of foreign envoys and royal banquets were held. Myeongjeongjeon is also the oldest main hall of all of the palaces, and unlike the south-facing main halls of the all other palaces, Myeongjeongjeon faces east. King Injong (the 12th king of the Joseon Dynasty) was enthroned here in 1544.
Gyeongchunjeon (Hall)
Gyeongchunjeon was built by King Seongjong for his mother, Dowager Queen Insu, in the 14th year of his rule. It was destroyed in 1592 during the Japanese Invasion of Korea and was reconstructed in 1616 during the 8th year of Prince Gwanghae's reign. Then in 1830 it was burnt down during the 30th year of King Sunjo's reign and again rebuilt in 1834 by the same king. Some interesting facts about Gyeongchunjeon is that it is where King Jeongjo (the 22nd king of the Joseon Dynasty) and King Heonjong (the 24th king of the Joseon Dynasty) were born, and the calligraphy on its signboard was written by King Sunjo (the 23rd king of the Joseon Dynasty).
Tongmyeongjeon (Hall)
Tongmyeongjeon, located northwest of Myeongjeongjeon, housed the royal bedroom where the king and queen slept. It was one of the first buildings built on the palace grounds, but was destroyed during the Japanese Invasion of Korea. It was later reconstructed but was burnt down during the uprising of Gwal Yi and King Jeongjo's reign. Like Gyeonchunjeon, it was rebuilt by King Sunjo in 1834. More interestingly, it is the location of a royal scandal that occured during the reign of King Sukjong (the 19th king of the Joseon Dynasty). It was discovered that Janghuibin, the king's favorite concubine, buried puppets and dead animals in front of the hall to curse Queen Inhyeon.
Map of Walking Tour Route